Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Changes in SSI and SSDI Benefits for 2015

 Changes in SSI and SSDI Benefits for 2015
By Ted Walner, Peer Advocate, Brooklyn Peer Advocacy Center, Baltic Street AEH, Inc.
With the recent onset of 2015, the Social Security Administration has made changes in the amounts we receive as well as in the amounts we can earn to qualify for benefits. Firstly there has been a 1.7% increase to the beneficiaries. This is a slightly higher increase than that of the previous year.
The monthly maximum amount of SSI has increased from $721 per month to $733 for an individual. It has also increased to $1,100 per month for a couple from $1,082 previously. The allowable assets for SSI remain the same. They are $2000 for an individual and $3000 for a couple.
A person receiving SSDI must earn less than $1,090 per month to qualify for benefits. This is an increase from $1070 per month last year. A trial work period for an SSDI recipient will count if they earn over $780 per month. This is also increased from $770 per month, last year.

I hope these changes are easy to understand. Basically entitlements have gone up for the New Year. Enjoy the increase and spend wisely!  

2 comments:

  1. I am homeless and receive $671 a month. A woman from my church has allowed me to stay in her home until i am able to get a place of my own, but Social Security of Missouri says that since i am staying here it is like free rent so i do not qualify for ssi. The problem is being a Christian woman she cannot just throw me out on the streets, so we are in a pickle. I should could use the SSI and that would help me find a place to live with even a little more income. My Christian woman is kind and very loving but i know she would like to have her home back. Her own family is findng is hard to come and visit with her because of the lack of room. I truly feel badly because i believe i am a burden to her. And i just want to get my own place. Is there anyway you could get back with me and help me in this situation? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate any increase! It's helpful to all of us on Social Security that the monthly allowance continues to increase. The cost of living goes up almost daily, and I need all of it. The increase to beneficiaries is of course necessary as well. The feeling of knowing that I'll be able to provide even if I'm gone is great.

    ReplyDelete