Friday, December 15, 2017

How I Conquered My Fear of Cancer and Improved My Mental Health

By Tiberius Bauer
Positive Thinking, Nutrition and Exercise Very Important

My father said, “Never forget. When you pray, pray like it would be your last day, and when you finish, live like you would live forever.”  

I was born in Romania in 1951 and came with my family to the United States in 1965.

I was sexually molested when 11-½ years-old. My nickname was “Fatso.” 

My brother committed suicide in 1976. Both my parents died in the 1980s. My father from diabetes and colon cancer. My mother had a stroke.

My wife got diabetes. We went to the Mayo Clinic and a doctor in Texas. Insurance didn’t pay. I almost went broke. She had an operation on her legs. One was amputated. She died in 2002. I felt partially responsible for my wife’s situation. I focused on her physical health, but never gave her emotional support. 

I didn’t take care of my mental health. I thought about what happened to me when I was 11-½. I wanted to kill myself and tried twice. A psychiatrist said I was bipolar. He gave me medication. I stayed in a hospital and went to a clinic.

Other family members got cancer. Six of my friends died from it. Nine friends committed suicide. I had high blood pressure and kidney stones, poor eyesight and hearing, bad leg, arm, and shoulder, obesity and diabetes. 

I was ready to die. I had the pills and I locked the door. My roommate called my cousin in New Jersey. I was just about to take the pills when my cousin called. He invited me out for the weekend and said he had a surprise.  

The surprise was a Samsung 10-inch tablet. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. 

Now I could search the Internet for answers to my fear of cancer, how to prevent and treat it. I found good advice from Burton Goldberg, doctors Bernardo Majalca, Stanley Bass, Ian Jacklin, and many others.

This is my conclusion: Cancer is not a death sentence. It’s a major inconvenience.

#1 Cancer thrives on anger, depression, anxiety, and bad thinking. Think positively. Try cognitive behavior therapy and/or peer support groups.

#2 Sequential eating means eating the right foods in the right order. Mostly fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, and grains. Eat all kinds of food in sequential order. Dr. Stanley Bass says, “Start with the food that has the highest water content, and work up to the food that has the highest fat content. Consume water or juices first, then fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, nuts and seeds and meats. This means you shouldn't drink liquids during or right after a meal, and fruit shouldn't be used as a dessert.”

#3 Combine foods rich in amino acids to increase nutritional value. I repeat, combine foods. Examples of foods that are rich in amino acids include eggs, animal protein, legumes, grains, nuts and seeds. Quinoa is one of the few plant sources that contains a full balance of amino acids, according to About.com (from reference.com).  

#4 Exercise. Aerobic exercise and/or weight lifting are good for mental as well as physical health. 

Now you have information I wish I had when my wife was sick. Maybe it could have saved her life. Consult a physician and make your choice. 

My fear of cancer isn’t gone. Heredity is the X-factor. I am not going to worry about it. I decided I do not want to have fear anymore. 

If I don’t take care of my diabetes, this is what’s going to happen: bad circulation, blindness, amputated legs. First, cane. Second, walker. Third, wheelchair. Then nursing home. Finally, death. I want to live a normal life.

If I save one life with my story I will be happy.

Note: To buy the complete version of his story, contact author at HowIConqueredMyFearofCancer@gmail.com. It costs $19.99, plus tax and shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment