Sunday, December 11, 2016

Bruni in the City: He’s Just Not That Into Me

Bruni in the City: He’s Just Not That Into Me
A Column by Christina Bruni


Welcome to My Life Now


Yes. I fear I have finally become the oldest cliché in the book. The book? He’s Just Not That Into You.
I think to myself, if a hot-blooded American guy was that attracted to a woman, he’d move heaven and Earth to go on a date with her.


T, the guy that I had written about, appeared in real life. And I went to The Fabulous Nevada Diner for dinner with him. Later that evening, we saw a band perform live. As I waited in the ladies’ room for a stall, his friend came in to wait, too. “Are you his girlfriend?” she asked.


“Oh, no, I don’t think he has a girlfriend.”

“He told me he did,” Annie repeated.

“That could’ve been seven months ago—it could be now—I don’t know. It could be possible.”

She was asking because it was an honest question. No malice intended.

I looked like I was still 30 with my Banana Republic jeans, a black t-shirt, and my new kicks─hot pink Converse ballet sneakers. Wouldn’t a guy like to go out with a vibrant, youthful woman who’s intelligent; not just typical bubblegum arm candy?

It’s not going to be T at this point.

I don’t want to risk the friendship by trying to date him. Reading the book Born for This, I learned about the solution for indecision: choose one thing to do. Why should I place all the power in a guy’s hands to decide if he wants to date me?

Rather than endlessly obsess over my fate, I decided that T would remain my great friend. I’d expand my avenues for finding a romantic partner other than just using OKCupid.

It’s possible that T is a “gateway guy,” the prelude to meeting the next guy.

At 2 a.m., T’s other friend raced across Northern Boulevard when he spotted a taxi on the other side. Northern Boulevard lives up to its moniker of “The Boulevard of Death.” Numerous accidents happen there because drivers speed down the street at 60 miles per hour or faster.

I arrived home at 3 a.m. and went straight to sleep. He’s just not that into me, folks. Yet, I wasn’t going to cry over it. Great friends are hard to come by. T is a great friend and always will be.

The next day, I went to Banana Republic and bought a chic chambray shirtwaist jacket. It looked good on me. I hope to look good for the guy who pulls out the lucky number next in the bakery line.

No comments:

Post a Comment